CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 25, 2007

i'm dreaming of a white christmas.


My phone rings. I don't answer because I have not been so comfortable and relaxed in a long time. I know it's Jess calling to guilt trip me into going out with her yet again.

It rings a second time, and knowing how persistent she is, I decide to go ahead and answer.

"'ello"

"Hey. What's goin' on?"

"Nothing much. Covered up on my couch watching White Christmas"

"What?"

"Uh, I'm watching a movie while laying on my couch covered by a blanket. Is there anything else you don't understand?"

"White Christmas, huh. Never heard of it."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Nope. Is it a new movie?"

"Hardly. But, I can't believe you don't know it. It's a holiday musical starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney. Hell, you love her nephew George ... and they hail from Kentucky. Is it still not ringing any bells?"

"No. But, I don't like musicals."

"Well I know you know the song, White Christmas. It was actually first featured in the movie Holiday Inn, which came out 12 years before White Christmas the movie."

*silence*

I then broke into song, doing my best to capture Bing's holiday classic (I didn't hear any dogs howling so it must not have been too bad)

"Yeah, I know that song. Never knew it was a movie."

*heavy sigh*

I decide not to venture out with her, choosing to remain on my couch happy and relaxed. I eventually fell asleep with Irving Berlin's melodies dancing through my head.

I must seem like an alien to some of my friends. But, I can't help it if they have no taste for the pleasantries of old movies and simpler times.

I'm hosting our holiday work party at my apartment next Sunday evening. Little do they know I plan to torture them with Christmas movies and music galore. Although, the eggnog will most likely be spiked making the torture not quite as painful...

2 comments:

Barking Up Trees said...

well u KNOW i could sing der bingle...

midnight owl said...

really?? I had NO idea u could sing!! ;)