CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 8, 2007

I only have one thing to say....

Bring back Tubby!

And I'm not just saying that cuz the Cats lost to a team I have never even heard of last night. I am a true blue fan and still have much hope for the season. It was just one game.

I know most fans are happy that Billy Gillispie is the new head coach of Kentucky, and they would probably blame last night's loss on Tubby's previous recruits. Regardless, I am not impressed with Billy G.

Something is rotten in the state of Kentucky, and UK basketball just doesn't feel the same.

I was major pumped up a few weeks back while attending Midnight Madness, which is an annual tradition in the Blugrass State. It's the fan's opportunity to see the Cats in action for the first time, and it's usually a sold out crowd.

As they introduced the players the fans clapped and cheered. It felt like Midnight Madness has always felt, and there stirred within me the usual sense of exhilaration and pride. Then, in the center of Rupp Arena, Kentucky's very own sports temple, Billy Gillispie made his debut.

The crowd erupted into cheers, including myself. I screamed and chanted "Billy" like a lunatic, until I slowly found myself having flashbacks of a man called Tubby Smith. I kid you not, tears welled up in my eyes. I did not want Billy to be standing in Rupp, wearing blue and white. I wanted Tubby back.

It would not be the first time UK sports has brought tears to my eyes. I came out of my mother's wound bleeding blue, and I have weeped like a baby over the years as the Cats experienced both great wins and losses.

Now, as this new chapter in Kentucky basketball begins, I feel sad (over the loss of an incredibly talented coach and kind man) and nervous as a stranger steps onto the court. For the moment, I'm going to avoid touching on the rumors afloat regarding Billy's obnoxious/cocky attitude and evident drinking problem. I will say that he has done a kick-ass job at recruiting, which was certainly Smith's weakness. But, Smith is gone and we can't blame everything on a man who is outta the picture. I can only hope that we will see success on the court.

Things have hit rock bottom at Kentucky, but Gillispie will dig them out. It's just one game, but this is a different animal than turning things around at Texas A&M. He was a hero because there were no expectations in College Station.

In Lexington, the expectations are to win national championships.
Gillispie needs to realize that he can't march in here acting like a basketball god. You have to earn that title 'round here, and he's gotta tough crowd to prove himself to.

0 comments: